It’s time to share with you another old-fashioned recipe in a new version. May I present you with the strawberry jam recipe…but without any added sugar. Making this one took me on the nostalgic trip back to my childhood when I would sneak jam out straight from the jar the second my mum looked away. You can add it to your toasts, porridges, desserts, or even lunches (crapes anyone?). So now the big question, what did I use instead of sugar? Actually nothing. But why? When you eat fresh strawberries do you sprinkle them with sugar? I hope you don’t. So there is no need to add it to your jam. Thanks to that it has a natural sweet flavour and tastes like real strawberries. Because the jam from my recipe doesn’t contain any sugar or preservatives, it won’t last as long as store-bought jams. But there’s no need to worry, it can last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I mean, if it is even possible, because there is no chance we can resist and not eat this jam within few days. It’s soooooo good!
- 500 g frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- Place frozen strawberries in a pot.
- Cook on the medium heat, stirring frequently till the fruits get soft (around 20-25 minutes).
- Smash the strawberries with a spoon.
- In a cup combine water, lemon juice and tapioca flour. Mix it very well to prevent any lumps.
- Add the mixture to the strawberries and mix.
- Lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the jam from the heat and allow to cool.
- Spoon into a clean glass jar and store in the fridge.