For some people it’s Caramel Slice, but this delicious dessert is also known as Millionaire’s Shortbread, Caramel Shortbread or Chocolate Caramel Bars. Four different names but the same wonderful flavour. I have for you a new version of this classic Scottish treat made with tummy friendly ingredients. The Caramel Slice consists of three layers. The first one is a base made mostly with almonds, the second – caramel filling (my favourite one) and the third one is chocolate top.Ingredients:
- 11/2 cup almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp cacao
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup cashew – soaked for 4 hours
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 120 g dates
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Line a cake tin (20×20 cm) with baking paper or cling wrap. If you use a silicone form, no need to do this.
- Place all ingredients for base in to a food processor or blender and whiz until well combined.
- Spread the mix in to the prepared tin, ensure it is even. Place the tin in the freezer.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and put them in a food processor/blender along with the coconut milk, dates, salt and vanilla extract.
- Whiz until completely smooth and then pour the mixture on top of the base. Place back in the freezer.
- Once the cake is completely set, place the ingredients for the homemade chocolate into your blender and mix at medium speed until smooth and well combined.
- Cover the top of your slice with the chocolate.