Anyone with Christmas gingerbread cookies still on “to-do” list? Looking for a quick and easy recipe? Happy to help! Some almond meal, honey and spices, and we will do fine. This recipe is ideal if your guests are on gluten-free and diary-free diet. Swapping the honey for some maple syrup will make them vegan friendly too. Let’s get to work!
- 130 g almond meal
- 25 g arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup honey (you can use maple syrup or rice malt syrup instead)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Add honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix again until a sticky dough is formed.
- Form the dough into a ball. Then gently use your hands to flatten it into a thick disk.
- Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and put into the freezer for 30 minutes (or to the fridge overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F) and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place the dough in a large piece of baking paper. Sprinkle it with a bit of arrowroot or tapioca flour to help prevent sticking.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough evenly then use your favourite cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Repeat process with remaining cookie dough.
- Place shapes apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake around 10 minutes, or until the gingerbread cookies are crisp around the edges and on top.